From Couch Potato to Hot Potato
A Beginner's Workout Program
Do you have a friend or relative that has finally decided that they want to make 2014 their best year yet but…they don’t know where to start with the gym and do not have a clue about what supplements to take? Well I have put together a simple and very non-intimidating workout program that has been designed to build a foundation of fitness for those who would like to live a healthier and happier life and are looking for a good place to start!
The program consists of 3 different workouts and days off are taken as needed – just keep rotating through the program (aiming for 3-4 workouts per week and starting with only 2 sets of each exercise for the first 2 weeks then moving up to 3 sets). The most important thing for a beginner is to start slow and listen to his/her body – overdoing it and becoming sore, tired and cranky can be very discouraging and should be avoided as this program is the first step towards a lifelong healthy and sustainable lifestyle! It is important to note that one should seek clearance from a medical doctor prior to beginning any exercise program.
Warmup: 5 minutes of cardio on Stair Machine/StepMill or Treadmill on a 10 degree Incline
Post weights: 10 minutes of cardio your choice
Day One: Chest, Back and Abs – all 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Barbell Bench Press
- Incline Chest Press Machine or Dumbbell Incline Press on Bench
- Chest Fly/ “Pec Deck” Machine
- Lat Pulldown Machine
- Seated Row Machine
- Low Back Hyperextension Machine
Day Two: Legs – all 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg Press Machine
- Romanian (Straight Legged) Deadlifts (keep back straight, do not round back)
- Seated Leg Extension Machine
- Leg Curl Machine
- Standing Calf Machine
- Regular Ab Crunches on Mat or Swiss Ball
Day Three: Shoulders, Arms and Abs– all 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Shoulder Press Machine or Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Lateral Raise Machine or Dumbbell Lateral Raise (Dumping Glasses of Water)
- Reverse Fly/”Pec Deck” Machine
- Bicep Curl with EZ Curl (Bent Barbell)
- Dumbbell Hammer Curl
- Tricep Dips on Machine (Assisted or Unassisted)
- Tricep Cable Rope Extensions
- Ab Leg Raises (Hanging from “Chair” or Laying on Mat)
Supplementation/How to Eat:
Keep it Simple Stupid – find a few meals you like and expand from them. Too many changes at once will make the lifestyle change too difficult and overwhelming.
Breakfast: 2/3rd of a cup of instant oats mixed with water and cooked and sprinkled with cinnamon. 1.5 Scoops Nutrabolics Protein.
Lunch: Subway Roasted Chicken Sub – double the meat and go with a 6 inch version to save carbs
Snack: Nutrabolics Protein Shake or a handful of unroasted nuts + Piece of Fruit
Supper: Piece of Meat of Fish + side like brown rice, sweet potato and throw some veggies in there as well
Hungry at night? Eggs, eggwhites, Nutrabolics protein shakes, Turkey Jerky, Turkey Pepperoni, Smartpop popcorn, 70% or higher dark chocolate
Breakfasts can be oats and protein shake, or protein smoothie (just add mixed berries and oats to the protein powder and blend – easy peasy!)
Lunch and Supper are basically a piece of protein (chicken, fish, lean steak) + a complex carb (brown rice, sweet potato, red potatoes) + veggies or salad.
Snacks: unroasted nuts like almonds – a handful, or a protein shake plus a piece of fruit. Popchips are good for snacking too as they are pretty low cal, so are Quaker Crispy Minis.
Try to eat well during the week and then treat yourself on the weekend. It’s all about cutting down on the extra junk food in your life and becoming more physically active. You can still eat those “not so good for you” things just try to cut it down to one night a weekend and you’ll notice a big difference quickly.
Supplements: The Kick Start Beginner Stack
- Nutrabolics Isobolic Protein or Nutrabolics Hydropure Protein
- Nutrabolics Swollen Capsules or Powder– 1 Serving Before Shoulders and Arm Day Workout
- Nutrabolics Thermal XTC Capsules or Powder – 1 Before Workout
- Post workout: 1.5 – 2 scoops of Nutrabolics Isobolic Protein and a banana or 2 Scoops Nutrabolics Anabolic Window
- Nutrabolics Vitabolic – 2 per day
- Nutrabolics Superfats – 3 capsules, 2 times per day
This is a guideline meant to help a new beginner take the first steps to becoming healthier and happier for 2014! Food substitutions should be made as needed to help morph their current couch potato routine into a healthier lifestyle –progression not perfection is the name of the game!
Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy 2014!
Shannon Lynch, PTS, PFS, MBA